Yield: 8 servings
- One pie crust
- Fruit Filling
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup tapioca
- 1/4 cup water
- Juice of one large orange
- 5 large tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 stick butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Place the pie crust in a 9" round pie plate. Bake at 425°F for 10 minutes.
- In a saucepan, combine the cranberries, sugar, tapioca, water, and orange juice. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the apples. Place the pan in a cold water bath and let stand for 10 minutes.
- For the topping, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, butter, and walnuts. Cut together using a pastry cutter.
- Pour the fruit filling into the partially baked pie shell. Top with the crumble topping. Line the edge of the pie crust with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning.
- Bake at 375°F for 45-55 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Adapted from Taste of Home and Epicurious.