Yield: 32 Sandwich Cookies
- 8 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Place the egg whites, vanilla, and salt into a large bowl. Using a hand mixer, whip on medium speed until foamy. Increase to high speed and gradually add the granulated sugar, 1/8 cup at a time. Continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in the confectioners' sugar. The egg whites will lose a bit of their stiffness, but they should still be able to retain their shape.
- Put a large star tip on a pastry bag and fill it with the meringue. Pipe 1 1/2 - 2 inch cookies onto parchment paper-lined cookie sheets.
- Bake at 225°F for 40-50 minutes, until the cookies are firm to the touch. Turn off the heat and let them sit in the warm oven for 90 minutes. (Keep the door closed)
- Transfer the cookie sheets to wire racks to finish cooling.
- When cool, remove the meringues from parchment paper. Spread Nutella onto the bottom of half of the cookies. Cover with the remaining cookies. Store at room temperature.
Adapted from Taste of Home.