Yield: 16 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup blackstrap molasses
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup water
- 8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, melted & tempered
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- Cream together the butter and brown sugar. Add the eggs, molasses, and blackstrap molasses, mixing well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, ginger, salt, and cloves.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter & sugar mixtures, alternating with the water. Mix well.
- Pour half of the batter into a greased 9" square baking pan. Drizzle half of the chocolate on the top. Pour the remaining batter over the top.
- Bake at 315°F for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For the topping, combine the whipping cream, confectioners' sugar, and ground ginger. Whip with a hand mixer on high speed until peaks form.
- Serve the cake at room temperature and top with the whipped cream mixture.
Adapted from Taste of Home.