Yield: 60 cookies
- 1/2 cup powdered cocoa
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 4 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 10 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 4 oz. ground walnuts
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups flour
- Confectioner's sugar
- Combine the cocoa, brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda, baking powder, and black pepper in a large mixing bowl. Add the butter, milk, and walnuts and mix. It will not be smooth.
- Add enough flour to form into a dough.
- Roll into tablespoon-sized balls. Roll the balls in the confectioner's sugar and then drop onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 335°F for 14 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Adapted from The Herb Companion.