Yield: 7 Servings
- 1 Beef roast (3 - 4 lbs)
- 3 celery ribs with leaves, cut into 1.5" pieces
- 2 carrots, peels and cut into 1" pieces
- 1/2 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 turnips, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 large potato, cut into pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) + 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Sprinkle the beef with salt and pepper. Place in a crock pot. Add remaining spices.
- Layer the vegetables on top of the beef. Pour in the vinegar and the broth.
- Cook at low heat for 4.5 hours, until the beef is 160°F in the center.
- For gravy, in a small saucepan whisk together the corn starch and cold water. Add juice from the roast, about 1.5 cups (give or take a bit). Heat through and simmer until it begins to thicken.
- Serve the roast with vegetables and gravy.
Adapted from Taste of Home.