Yield: 12 servings
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 can (7.5 oz.) chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 3/4 lb cheese, grated, divided
- 4 jalapeno peppers, diced
- 1-2 green onions, chopped
- Pour the oil into a cast iron pan. Place in oven at 335°F.
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the milk, cream, eggs, and butter and mix just until moistened.
- Chop the chipotle peppers into small pieces. Add the chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, 1/2 of the cheese, the jalapenos, and the green onions. Stir just until mixed.
- Remove the cast iron pan from the oven and swirl the oil to coat. Pour in the batter and top with remaining cheese. Return to the oven and bake at 335°F for 45-60 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack. Once it's warm but not hot, cut into wedges and serve.