And while you're at it, I suggest dipping a few extra sections in chocolate. They make for a tasty snack.
Yield: 44 cupcakes
- 2 packages white cake mix (18.25 oz. each)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 8 egg whites
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp grated clementine peel
- 3-4 clementines, peeled and sectioned with the membrane removed
- 3 packages (8 oz. each) cream cheese
- 4 tbsp butter, softened
- 16 oz white chocolate, melted and tempered
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 4 clementines
- Dark chocolate, melted
- If using real chocolate, it needs to be tempered. Alternatively, you can use confectionary coating.
- Coarse sea salt
- For the cupcakes, combine the cake mix, water, egg whites, juuice, oil, and grated peel and mix well. Fill paper-lined muffin cups half-full. Place one clementine section in the middle of each.
- Bake at 350°F for 17-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
- For the frosting, cream together the cream cheese, and butter. Add the chocolate and lemon juice and whip together.
- For the topping, peel and section your clementines, leaving the membrane in tact.
- Dip each section in the melted chocolate and lay flat on wax paper. Sprinkle with sea salt before the chocolate sets.
- Once the chocolate is set, frost each cupcake using a star tip on your pastry bag. Place a chocolate coated clementine section on the top of each cupcake.
- Store in the refrigerator.
Adapted from Taste of Home.