Yield: 8 servings
- 4 cups chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 package phyllo dough (16 oz., 14" x 9" sheets)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Combine walnuts, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Mix well. Set aside.
- Brush pie plate with butter. Layer eight sheets of phyllo dough, rotating each one and letting the extra hang over the edge. Brush with butter in between each layer.
- Pour 1/3 of the walnut mixture into the pie plate. Layer with another four sheets of phyllo dough, again brushing with butter between each sheet and letting it hang over the sides.
- Repeat step #3 until all the walnut mixture is in the pie.
- For the top, layer eight sheets of phyllo dough. Next, fold the ends of the dough back up over the pie. Brush the top with butter.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into 8 slices.
- Cut several stips of extra phyllo dough and arrange decoratively over the top.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes, until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- When the pie is baked, place on a wire rack. Pour the honey sauce over top. Let cool.
- Serve at room temperature. Refrigerate the leftovers.