Yield: 8 servings
- 8 tbsp cold butter
- 3 jalapeno peppers, diced
- 1/4 lb. sharp cheddar, diced
- 2 cups flour, divided
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs, divided
- Melt 1/2 tbsp butter in a skillet. Sauté the jalapenos until they are soft. Remove from the heat.
- Mix the jalapenos with 1 tbsp of the flour. Add the cheese and gently toss until coated.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining flour with the baking powder and salt. Add the remaining butter and cut into the flour until it's crumbly.
- In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk with two of the eggs and whip. Add to the flour, along the with jalapeno/cheese mixture. Fold just until moistened.
- Knead the dough on the countertop 4-6 times. Place on a greased baking stone in 10" circle. Cut into eight wedges.
- Combine the remaining egg with one tsp of cold water and beat together. Brush over the scones.
- Bake at 400ºF for 25 minutes. Cool for 6-8 minutes before serving.