Yield: 12 servings
- 1 1/2 tsp yeast
- 1 1/4 cups warm water, divided
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tsp wheat gluten
- Stir together the yeast, 1/4 cup water, and honey. Let sit until foamy.
- Add the flour, salt, cornmeal, and wheat gluten. Mix until a dough forms. Knead for 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Punch down the dough. Roll on a floured surface into a large rectangle. Fold the sides in to make a long, narrow loaf and pinch the seam closed. Transfer to a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment and sprinkled with cornmeal, seam-side down.
- Use scissors to cut 3-inch deep cuts every 1.5 inches. Pull the pieces apart without breaking them off as shown in the picture. Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Place a pan of water in the bottom of the over. The steam will help the bread get a thick crust.
- Bake at 425ºF for 20-25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve as a single loaf. Cut or tear the branches off as individual rolls.