Yield: 1 loaf
- 3.5 cup flour
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp filled flax seed
- 4 tsp wheat gluten
- 5 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp shortening
- 2 tsp blackstrap molasses
- 1 1/8 cup warm water
- In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup flour with the yeast, salt, flax seed, gluten, and shortening. Mix well. Add the shortening, molasses, and water. Mix well.
- Add in the remaining flour, one-half cup at a time, until it turns into a dough. Knead for 6-8 minutes.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30-40 minutes.
- Punch down the dough and then roll out into a long rectangle, 9 inches wide. Roll up length-wise from one end and then pinch the seam closed. Place in a greased & floured bread pan.
- Let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400ºF for 35-40 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack completely before serving.