Yield: 12 servings
- 1 1/2 cups white flour, divided
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp milled flax seed
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast
- 1 tbsp shortening
- 1 1/8 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup rye flour
- Combine one cup of white flour with the wheat flour, sugar, salt, flax seed, and yeast. Cut in the shortening. Add the water and mix well until you have a slurry.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. You may have to adjust the amount of additional white flour slightly.
- Knead for 8-10 minutes. Form dough into a ball and put it in a greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place until doubled (about 1 hour).
- Punch down the dough. Roll out on a floured surface into an 18" x 9" rectangle. Roll up and pinch the seam closed. Tuck the ends under.
- Place the dough, seamside down, into a greased 9" bread pan. Place in a warm place and let rise (about 45-60 minutes).
- Bake at 425ºF for 25 minutes until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack before serving.